UK Calls to ban cars in city centre as part of new transport strategy last minute news


PremierLeague-News.Com

- The council wants 90 per cent of city centre trips to be made on foot, by bike or public transport by 2040

UK Calls to ban cars in city centre as part of new transport strategy last minute news


PremierLeague-News.Com

- The council wants 90 per cent of city centre trips to be made on foot, by bike or public transport by 2040

UK Calls to ban cars in city centre as part of new transport strategy last minute news
24 February 2021 - 08:15

PremierLeague-News.Com - Breaking Sport Transfer News ! Calls have been made for cars to be banned from the city centre as part of Manchester council’s plans to change the way people travel. The suggestion was one of several put forward by members of public as part of a consultation on a new transport strategy for the city. Manchester council wants 90 per cent of all trips to the city centre to be made on foot, by bike or using public transport by 2040. To meet their ambitions the town hall is looking at several proposals including reducing the number of buses idling in Piccadilly Gardens, permanently pedestrianising areas like Deansgate, and creating a cycling ‘triangle’. What do you make of the calls? Have your say below Building a Metrolink tunnel beneath the city centre is an idea that could be revisited, while an Ultra Low Emission Zone - where polluting vehicles need to pay a daily charge to travel through specific areas - and 20mph limits are also being considered. The strategy, which is being developed alongside Salford council and Transport for Greater Manchester, went out to consultation at the end of last year. Nearly 2,500 people, groups, political parties and transport operators took part, with the majority expressing support for the strategy. But almost a quarter of respondents were not supportive of how the council wanted to manage traffic in the city centre, the highest negative response received. Read More Related Articles A tunnel under the city, bigger Piccadilly Gardens and pedestrianised Deansgate... the six biggest city centre transport ideas being looked at Read More Related Articles This is how Greater Manchester plans to spend £16m on cycling and walking projects Some argued that the plans did not go far enough and said all cars should be banned from the city centre, and that all car parks should be removed.

News source = PremierLeague-News.Com

. But consultees raised concerns about the impact removing car parks would have on disabled people who depend on private vehicles to get around, and businesses which rely on deliveries. Cllr Angeliki Stogia at the pedestrian and cycle zone in Deansgate (Image: Manchester City Council) Councillor Angeliki Stogia, executive member for transport at Manchester council, has described the challenge of satisfying both sides as a ‘difficult’ one. Speaking at a meeting of the council’s executive on February 19, Coun Stogia said: “We acknowledge the strength of feeling on both sides, I don't want to be gaslighting either side and dismiss what people feel. “What I want is to work with everyone to bring forward projects that bridge the gap and will get us to a place where we give people viable options to get in and out and move around the city, while we continue to reduce private vehicle journeys and car parks to manage traffic in the city centre.” There was a high level of support for schemes focused on making walking and public transport the main modes of travelling in the city centre, Coun Stogia said. Many respondents asked the council to make more parts of the city centre car-free, something which some local councillors are also calling for. Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here But in December, Manchester council was accused by Diamond Bus of ‘unlawfully’ pedestrianising part of Deansgate without proper consultation. The matter nearly ended up in High Court before the council agreed to pay the company £42,000 in legal costs, while also partially reopening Deansgate to buses. Diamond was one of several bus operators to respond to the city transport strategy consultation raising concerns about plans to reduce the number of buses at the Parker Street interchange at Piccadilly Gardens, and to close the Oldham Street loop. A final version of the city centre transport strategy will go before Manchester council’s executive on March 17 before being submitted to the Greater Manchester combined authority for approval on March 26. Read More Related Articles The fight over closing streets to cars in Manchester city centre Read More Related Articles The £2.3million plan to close streets to car traffic in Northern Quarter

Source =

PremierLeague-News.Com

This news 16 hits received.

COMMENTS

  • 0 Comment
MAY INTEREST YOU x
Daily uk news  Dele Alli 'breaks up with his model girlfriend after the pair kept getting into blazing rows'  PremierLeague-News.Com
Daily uk news Dele Alli 'breaks up with his model girlfriend after...
London news  Man dies after stabbing in Paddington Green Uk news
London news Man dies after stabbing in Paddington Green Uk news