Manchester news Arena bomb plotter Hashem Abedi refuses to leave cell to face new charge Manchester united news
PremierLeague-News.Com - Abedi and Parsons Green Tube bomber Ahmed Hassan have been told they may be 'forced' to attend court
PremierLeague-News.Com - Breaking Sport Transfer News ! Manchester Arena bomb plotter Hashem Abedi refused to leave his jail cell to attend court to face a charge of attacking a prison guard. Following the no-show a judge told Abedi, and his co-accused, Parsons Green Tube bomber Ahmed Hassan, they may be 'forced' to attend court. Abedi, 23, and Hassan, 21, are accused alongside another suspect, Muhammed Saeed, 23, of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on Paul Edwards at HMP Belmarsh on May 11 last year. But neither Abedi nor Hassan appeared via video link from the category A HMP Frankland in County Durham for the hearing at Westminster magistrates' court on Wednesday morning. Asked by District Judge Tan Ikram whether Abedi and Hassan were 'refusing to attend' the hearing, an unnamed Frankland prison officer replied: "They’re refusing to come down to this location, they are in their cells on the wings." He added: "They’ve not made any formal representation, they just insisted they’re not going to attend in any shape or form, sir." The district judge relisted the hearing for Thursday, the day Abedi turns 24, for pleas to be heard, unless the matter gets moved straight to the crown court at a later date, at the request of the prosecution. Hashem Abedi (Image: PA) He told the prison officer: "I’m not sure if you will get the opportunity to speak to the two defendants. "But if you are (speaking to them), they are advised to attend – one of the powers the court has is the use of force." Saeed, originally from Old Trafford in Manchester and currently awaiting sentence for another matter, appeared via video link from the category A HMP Whitemoor in Cambridgeshire wearing a red jumper. He spoke to confirm his identity and to enter a not guilty plea.
News source = PremierLeague-News.Com
. Outlining the case, prosecutor Nicholas Alexander alleged the three defendants were out of their cells on May 11 last year when they entered an office and assaulted Mr Edwards as he sat at a desk. Mr Edwards received cuts to his head and bruising, and was also kicked.
He has ongoing hearing problems as a result of the attack, the court heard. The district judge provisionally relisted the hearing for Abedi and Hassan to be produced, again via video link, on Thursday, unless the prosecution elects to 'circumvent' the hearing. Abedi, formerly of Fallowfield, was jailed for helping his brother Salman, 22, plan the suicide bomb attack in which 22 people killed and hundreds more injured at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in May 2017. He was convicted by a jury at the Old Bailey and jailed for life in August with a minimum term of 55 years.
How to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest headlines from the M.E.N.
Mum died of injuries after family dogs attacked her in home, coroner rules
Source = PremierLeague-News.Com