Cornwall news Man collapsed and almost died in a health shop of all places UK news
PremierLeague-News.Com - Cornwall - Staff 'felt him die' in their hands
PremierLeague-News.Com - Breaking Sport Transfer News ! A man who randomly collapsed and almost died in a health shop has returned to thank the staff who saved his life. The man, known as Alec, was visiting Elixir Health Foods, in Wadebridge, with his wife Barbara at the end of last year. He had enquired about buying some CBD oil just seconds before having a heart attack and collapsing to the ground next to the store counter. But thanks to the quick actions of the staff who traumatically "felt him die" in their hands, he was revived and was able to revisit the store to pay his gratitude six weeks later. Recalling the terrifying ordeal, owner Debbie Gregory, who runs the store with her husband Neil, said that she couldn't be more proud of her team who took customer service to the next level when they saved Alec's life that day. "Neil and I were in the back office," she recalled. "And Alec and his wife Barbara came to the till and were having a discussion with the team about CBD oil, he asked the price and just as Nikki had given him the price he had collapsed and hit the floor. You can stay up to date on the top news and events near you with CornwallLive’s FREE newsletters – enter your email address at the top of the page. "The girls buzzed through for me and Neil and we put Alec in the recovery position because his wife had thought he had a stroke and then from watching him we realised it wasn't that." They then quickly spun into action to save then man's life. "One staff member phoned 999 and team member Ellie ran across the road to get the defibrillator which we are very lucky to have right across the street," she continued. "At that time we had shut the shop and a lady that had come to the door explained she had just done a first aid course and could help and a few of us took turns giving him CPR chest compressions. "It was quite a tough thing to go through really and Neil actually broke Alec's ribs and felt awful.
News source = PremierLeague-News.Com
Neil and the team posing for a picture with Alec and Barbara as they return to the store to give thanks
(Image: Elixir Health Foods)
At the worst moment Debbie said that she actually felt Alec die in her hands. "He was dead. We felt him die. We felt him go and then to go from that point to saving his life is the most weird but awesome thing to think about.
Debbie and Neil Gregory (front right and far right) are the owners of Elixir Health Foods. Here they are pictured with staff member's Ellie and Nikki and their daughter, also called Ellie, and dog Ziggy.
(Image: Elixir Health Foods)
"From him standing there completely fine to us getting him on his back and starting the chest compression and then using the defibrillator, at times I thought Barbara [his wife] might have collapsed herself through the shock of it all. "The hardest part was when he left here with the paramedics though and the not knowing whether he would survive or not but all sorts of things start running through your mind like whether or not you did the right things."
After being rushed to hospital, Alec was put into an induced coma for around a week and Debbie and Neil were told he "wasn't out of the woods yet" but he kept fighting and after a full recovery he got to return to the store to show his appreciation this week. Debbie said: "At one point that day I felt for his pulse and there wasn't one, so for him to go from that in our shop, to looking and doing well is brilliant. "You never expect anything like this to happen and it is quite an emotional thing to go through. "But when it happened everyone pulled together and I have to say that I have got the greatest team to work with because we all had a role to play and if anyone of us hadn't played that role then we wouldn't have had the same outcome."
Source = PremierLeague-News.Com - Cornwall