Bristol news Pret A Manger cleared after student's allergic reaction PremierLeague-News.Com

PremierLeague-News.Com - Isobel Colnaghi's father later reported the incident to Trading Standards at Bath and North East Somerset Council, which launched an investigation

Bristol news Pret A Manger cleared after student's allergic reaction PremierLeague-News.Com

PremierLeague-News.Com - Isobel Colnaghi's father later reported the incident to Trading Standards at Bath and North East Somerset Council, which launched an investigation

Bristol news  Pret A Manger cleared after student's allergic reaction  PremierLeague-News.Com
04 May 2021 - 16:00

PremierLeague-News.Com - Breaking Sport Transfer News ! A jury has found Pret A Manger not guilty of a food safety offence after a student suffering a severe allergic reaction after eating a sandwich containing sesame. Isobel Colnaghi purchased a sandwich from the firm’s shop at Bath’s SouthGate shopping centre on November 26, 2017, which lead to her going into shock and she fell unconscious. She checked the packaging of the curried chickpea and mango chutney sandwich before asking a staff member whether the item contained sesame, to which she is allergic. Bristol Crown Court heard the staff member failed to check the store’s allergen guide, which would have confirmed that the sandwich did contain sesame, and wrongly told Miss Colnaghi it did not after looking at a shelf label. Pret A Manger (Europe) Ltd denied one charge of selling food not of the substance demanded, contrary to Section 14 of the Food Safety Act 1990. A jury acquitted the company of the charge on this afternoon (Tuesday, May 4) following a week-long trial. Find local issues happening near you, powered by In Your Area: Speaking after the verdict, a spokeswoman for Pret A Manger said: “We welcome the court’s decision in relation to this incident in 2017. “At Pret we continue to do everything we can to support customers with allergies and in 2019, we became the first food-to-go business to introduce full ingredient labels on all freshly made products. “We remain 100 per cent committed to the actions we set out in the Pret Allergy Plan, so that every customer has the information they need to make the right choice for them. “We wish Ms Colnaghi all the best for the future.” During the trial, jurors were told Miss Colnaghi had been diagnosed with a severe nut and sesame allergy as a young child and carries an EpiPen for use in emergencies. She went to the Pret A Manger store shortly before 4pm on November 26 in 2017 and asked a member of staff, Roberto Rodriguez, whether the sandwich contained sesame. Text on the packaging said: “If you have allergies please ask. “All our food is handmade in our busy kitchen so we can’t guarantee it is suitable for people with allergies.” Read More Related Articles DWP changes for millions of people on Universal Credit, PIP and other benefits Read More Related Articles Public asked to pick title for latest royal chick Mr Rodriguez told her he did not think so but went to check the label on the fridge where Miss Colnaghi had taken the sandwich from, then returned and assured her it did not, the court heard. Kate Brunner QC, prosecuting, said Mr Rodriguez should have checked the store’s allergen guide, which clearly stated that the sandwich contained sesame.

News source = PremierLeague-News.Com

. Ms Brunner said Pret A Manger had to prove it took “all reasonable steps” to ensure staff consulted the allergen guide before advising customers. Following the incident, Mr Rodriguez stopped working for Pret A Manger and left the UK. Solicitors have not been able to contact him since 2019. After eating a few bites of the sandwich, Miss Colnaghi felt her throat become scratchy. She took antihistamines and administered her EpiPen after calling 999 when her symptoms worsened. The student later went into anaphylactic shock and became unconscious. She made a full recovery after being taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath. Her father later reported the incident to Trading Standards at Bath and North East Somerset Council, which launched an investigation. Jonathan Laidlaw QC, representing Pret A Manger during the trial, said instructions to staff on what to do when an allergen query was raised were “straightforward and consistent”. He said Mr Rodriguez looking at the shelf label rather than the allergen guide “amounted to an error by the server” that even the best training could not prevent. During the trial, food safety expert Dr Belinda Stuart-Moonlight told jurors that Mr Rodriguez was fully trained and had acted outside of Pret A Manger’s allergen procedures. “Other than the failure of the staff member to refer to the allergen guide, the system was sound and compliant,” she said. Dr Stuart-Moonlight said Pret A Manger’s allergy management system complied with industry standards and included “all reasonable precautions” to prevent such an incident from happening. She referred to the company’s training as “gold standard” and said it made allergen information “easily accessible” to customers and staff. Judge Euan Ambrose thanked jurors for their work during the trial, which he said the court was “extremely grateful” for.

Source = PremierLeague-News.Com

This news 6 hits received.

COMMENTS

  • 0 Comment
Last News
MAY INTEREST YOU x
Uk News  Jailed driver taught ‘hard lesson’ by judge for causing near fatal horror crash United Kingdom news
Uk News Jailed driver taught ‘hard lesson’ by judge for causing...
Daily uk news  Starbucks 'is considering quitting Facebook and its page with 35 MILLION followers because of the 'hate speech' responses to its posts PremierLeague-News.Com
Daily uk news Starbucks 'is considering quitting Facebook and its...