Birmingham news Mum flees blazing home naked as fire breaks out as she showers PremierLeague-News.Com
PremierLeague-News.Com - She and three kids fled for their lives as electric heater starts blaze in her bedroom
PremierLeague-News.Com - Breaking Sport Transfer News ! A mum fled her home naked with her terrified children after a fire took hold as she showered. An electric heater sparked the blaze, filling the family's Nechells property with smoke. The 34-year-old's three children, aged four, 12, and 14, fled but feared she had perished when she failed to emerge immediately. She instead escaped through the back door with flames blocking the front entrance. The family stayed with friends before accepting temporary accommodation after the fire, which broke out on Tuesday, January 5. Image shows water drips on the wall near to a plug socket The mum, who would not be named, had been using an electric heater to warm their home after reported issues with their boiler when the blaze broke out at around 11am. "I was in the shower and my son started screaming because there was smoke in the house," she said. "He opened my bedroom door and the room was on fire. I was naked, the neighbour had to throw some blankets to me. "At first, because the fire was at the front door, I had to be at the back, the children were screaming because they thought I was dead as I was still inside." Ten firefighters arrived to tackle the blaze but found it had been extinguished. West Midlands Fire Service said the blaze was sparked by the heater being too close to the bed, with other residents warned of such dangers. A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "Two fire engines and ten firefighters from Highgate Fire Station attended the scene to find the fire extinguished and all persons accounted for prior to the first crew's arrival. The damage to the bathroom walls "The fire had been contained to just one room of the property and was caused by an electric heater placed close to the bed. "This serves as a stark reminder of the fire risk caused by placing portable heaters too close to combustible materials such as beds, clothes, curtains and boxes. "During these cold winter months, especially with people spending more time at home during the pandemic, households should be extra careful when using portable heaters and ensure they have working smoke alarms." The mum, who moved to the property in October 2015 after escaping domestic abuse, continued: "My bed, my mattress, my belongings in my room, my clothes, some of the children's things, were burnt in the fire." Contact Us Have you been affected by this story? Do you have an issue you want us to investigate or something you want to share from your area? Let me know by emailing stephanie.balloo@reachplc.
News source = PremierLeague-News.Com
. Read more by Stephanie Balloo here. The mum said she had previously complained the flat was 'humid, damp and swollen walls were dripping with water'. Sanctuary Housing apologised to the family for failing to fix the leak earlier. But the mum said she did not want to return to the address after claiming her family had endured two years of leak problems. "They were being slow to react," she said. "I had to wait until Friday until they found me temporary accomodation. The impression they were giving me is they were going to repair it. "But the children are traumatised with everything. I don't want to go back to this house. It's been two years I've been dealing with these problems [the leak], they just patch up the problem, then leave it. "Things are becoming worse, nobody would like to live in that place. The walls are swollen with water, if you touch it, then it crumbles. "It's so unhealthy, we all have chest infections." A spokesperson for Sanctuary Housing said: "We apologise to [the resident] and her family for the time it has taken to resolve the current leak in their property. "Following the fire, [the resident] advised she and her family had moved in with a friend and they were offered suitable temporary accommodation on Friday (8 January) which they accepted. "The family can remain in this accommodation until the flat is ready to move back into and we are carrying out repair work to resolve the issues as quickly as possible. "We continue to speak with [the resident] regularly, including signposting her to relevant support services, and would encourage her to raise any other concerns with us directly."
Source = PremierLeague-News.Com